Emergen-C® Supplements and Warfarin
By: Alere Staff
|It is important to keep your immune system strong in case you become exposed to viruses that could make you sick, especially when we are in cold and flu season. Although the immune system still has many unexplained mysteries, researchers still believe adopting healthy living strategies is your first line of defense against illness.1|
These strategies can include:1
- Getting adequate sleep.
- Consuming a diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains and avoiding bad fat.
- Exercising regularly.
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Avoiding smoking.
- Controlling your blood pressure.
- Taking steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
The Emergen-C® Supplement and Warfarin
Some people believe that taking vitamin supplements will help protect you from getting sick. One popular supplement is the Emergen-C® dietary supplement. The Emergen-C® supplement contains high amounts of Vitamin C and the B vitamins. While we don’t have evidence that shows this product will affect your INR, it is always a good idea to inform the doctor or nurses involved in the management of your warfarin that you have started taking a new supplement. They can make adjustments to your warfarin dose if they see the supplement is affecting your INR.
- Harvard Health Publications. How to Boost Your Immune System. Harvard Medical School. Retrieved November 16, 2015 from website: http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.
Emergen-C® is a registered trademark of Alacer Corp.