Talking with Your Doctor
By: Alere Staff
Visiting the doctor is part of life and how well you and your doctor talk to each other is an important part of getting good health care. When you are older, it becomes more important to talk often and comfortably with your doctor. In fact, 63% of people who visit the doctor are over 45 years old.1 Before you visit your doctor however, you have homework to do. Your homework is to keep track of how you’ve felt since you visited last and make a list of the medicines you are taking.
Before your doctor’s visit, write down any of the following:
- Make a list of concerns and prioritize them
- Questions about your medicines or their side effects
- Share any symptoms, like pain, trouble sleeping, weight loss or gain
- Tell your doctor about your habits
- Share information about visits to other doctors
What to bring to your doctor’s visit:
- Bring your list of questions
- Bring a list of all the medicines you are taking
Alere now offers a simple way for you to share all the medicines, vitamins and dietary supplements with your doctor. Download this Medications List form and fill it out before your next doctors’ visit. This will help your doctor see if the medicines are still right for you.