Kitchen Safety and Safety Products
By: Alere Staff
The kitchen can be unsafe with the chance of cooking fires, grease and spills on the floor and injuries from stoves, toasters and microwave ovens. Remember these tips to avoid a kitchen accident:
- Install a smoke alarm. At least one should be placed on every floor of your home. There are extra loud smoke alarms for people who are hard of hearing.
- Make sure the stove and sink areas are well lit.
- Remove sharp, fragile, and heavy things from the tops of counters and shelves.
- Design countertop space to keep carrying and lifting to a minimum.
- Remove throw rugs from kitchen floors. If you would still want a rug, buy one with a non-slip back.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen, but not near the stove or the heater.
- When cooking, do not wear garments with long, loose sleeves and turn pan handles away from other burners and edge of stove.
- Small appliances are unplugged when not in use and cords are stored out of the way.
- Keep heavier items on lower shelves. If you need a stepladder, choose one with a support handle.
- Always keep a first aid kit in or close to the kitchen.
Below are some products that may help you be safer in the kitchen
The companies, websites, products and services, and brands referenced and linked to/from this website are not sponsored or endorsed by, or otherwise affiliated with, Alere or PTINR.com. The third-party products and services referenced and linked to/ from this website are included for informational purposes only, and have not been tested or approved by Alere or PTINR.com. Neither Alere nor PTINR.com makes any representations or warranties regarding third-party products or services, and shall not be liable for any claims arising from those products or services or your use thereof. See the Website Terms and Conditions for additional details.