Smoothies and Warfarin
By: Alere Staff
It’s fun to add the available fresh fruits and vegetables of the season to your meal plan. One way you can combine healthy foods and good taste is by making a smoothie. Sometimes smoothies can be loaded with sugar and other ingredients that make them less healthy than we want. By making them yourself, you can control the amount of ingredients added and the size of your portion. This is especially important when taking warfarin.
Many of the fruits and vegetables you can put in your smoothie contain Vitamin K. As long as you are consistent in your intake from day to day, it is all right to eat foods that contain Vitamin K.
Let’s break down the ingredients in a strawberry-banana smoothie recipe2:
Serving size: 1 ½ cups
- ¼ cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- ½ cup mango juice
- ½ banana
Place the yogurt, strawberries, mango juice and banana in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
Adding either spinach, kale or other leafy greens has become a popular addition to smoothies. Additions of foods high in Vitamin K should be considered before adding and the serving size should be closely monitored. You can even try to come up with your own favorite recipe. Fun smoothie additions include honey and bananas or try freezing your fruit before blending in order to get different consistencies in your drink.
Don’t forget to use the Vitamin K Finder to calculate a consistent daily intake of Vitamin K. Have fun adding all kinds of healthy fruits and vegetables to your smoothie.
Interested in learning more? Check out these related articles:
- Food Substitutions Are a Simple Matter of Taste
- Greek Yogurt and Warfarin
- Bananas and Warfarin
- Blueberries and Warfarin
- Your Balanced, Health Diet
- American Heart Association. Medication Interactions: Food, Supplements and Other Drugs. October 15, 2014. Retrieved from the American Heart Association website at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/Medication-Interactions-Food-Supplements-and-Other-Drugs_UCM_437377_Article.jsp
- Dr. Gourmet. Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie. The Dr. Gourmet Diet Plan. June 4, 2015. Retrieved from website: http://www.drgourmet.com/gerd/strawberrybananasmoothie.shtml#.VYhd_k2NQdU.