Is Home INR Monitoring covered by insurance?
Home INR testing is covered by Medicare and most private insurance.
To be eligible for home INR testing under Medicare or most private insurance, you must be diagnosed with one or more of the following diagnosis1:
- Mechanical Heart Valve (MHV)
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Venous Thromboembolism, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), or Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
- Hypercoagulable state
You must also meet the following criteria:
- Have been taking warfarin or a brand of warfarin such as Coumadin® for at least 90 days (or 3 months)
- Be physically capable of performing a test by taking a fingerstick blood sample or have a caregiver that could assist you
- Be able to demonstrate the correct use of the home INR monitor after training
Alere has relationships with Medicare and numerous insurance providers. We will be happy to submit the request to your insurance company for you to find out your individual coverage details. Our team is dedicated to help determine your insurance coverage and will contact you with details.
Below are guidelines regarding coverage for Home INR Monitoring:
|Medicare||Privately Insured||Cash Pay|
|Medicare Part B covers home monitoring up to 4 tests per month (weekly testing).1 You must be on warfarin for more than 90 days and have a qualifying condition.||Many private insurance providers also cover individuals for Home INR Monitoring. We will contact your insurance provider for you to determine your coverage. The approval can take several weeks, depending on your plan.||
If you do not have insurance coverage, you may purchase an INR meter and testing supplies. Contact Alere for prices.
Call Alere 1.800.504.4032 today to test your INR!