Frequently Asked Questions
Call 1.877.262.4669 to get started today!
Why choose Alere Home Monitoring, Inc?
Alere is the leader in home anticoagulation monitoring services and related products. As an Independent Diagnostic Testing Facility (IDTF), we have more years of experience than any other national provider of home anticoagulation monitoring services and related products. Alere has assembled an industry leading service program that includes insurance coverage determination, proprietary training methods, patient education, clinical outcomes reporting, data management solutions and a choice in home testing products.
Alere has helped over 10,000 physicians provide Home INR Monitoring services to manage over 50 million test results from over 75,000 patients. Alere is committed to helping individuals on warfarin/Coumadin® therapy benefit from the freedom of home testing while remaining connected to their physicians as they work together to achieve better health.
Why are more doctors recommending that their patients test their INR at home?
Clinical evidence supports the benefits of more frequent testing with patient INR self-testing. Home INR Monitoring gives patients better control over their health in several ways:
- Weekly self-testing has demonstrated time in target range (TTR) > 70% in and outside clinical trials1, 2
- You determine alert INR levels to manage your patient and practice risk more closely than traditional care models.
- It better suits many patients’ lifestyles as it allows them to test in accordance to the drug’s half-life, reduces medical complications, and gives patients peace of mind about their INR levels between their routine visits to your practice.
- Medicare and most health plans recognize the advantages of patient self-testing and offer reimbursement for up to and including weekly INR testing.
How does Alere Home Monitoring, Inc. help assure compliance for patients?
Alere provides courtesy reminder calls if patient’s results were not received within the timeline prescribed by you. If a patient misses one test, an automated reminder call is sent. If Alere still has not received results after two weeks, a letter, call and fax to the physician are sent. We will contact them again over the next several weeks and after 45 days, we notify the physician and patient that they may be removed from the service if we have not received results.
Who trains the patient on how to use the INR monitor and service?
The patient can be trained by a accredited trainer using our Face-2-Face® training program in the clinic or home setting. During the training appointment, patients will learn how to operate the INR monitor, perform a test, and report their INR test results. Patients will actively participate in the training session and will not graduate training until they have demonstrated full competence in testing on their own or with the help of a caregiver.
Can a patient subscribe to this service on their own?
No. A doctor must prescribe the service and INR monitor in order for the patient to participate in the Home INR Monitoring Program. Patients must also be taking warfarin or Coumadin® medication for at least 90 days (or 3 months) as required by CMS.
What happens if the INR monitor needs checking, repair or replacement?
We encourage patients to call us as soon as they experience any difficulty with the INR monitor or steps of testing. Our Patient Outreach department is staffed by caring representatives whose primary function is to provide support and assistance to patients. If the device is not working properly, our staff will work with the patient to resolve the issue.
How will my patients receive new supplies like test strips and lancets for testing?
When they have less than three test strips left, patients will contact Alere either online or by phone when reporting your test results. We will ship replacement supplies directly to the patient.
How can patients submit their INR test results?
Alere Home Monitoring, Inc. offers patients several ways to report their INR test results. All options offer flexibility, reliability, convenience, and the ability to order additional testing supplies:
- Secure Website – Using our secure website, www.MyCoagResults.com, allows patients to easily manage their care anytime with an internet connection.
- Automated Phone System – Report results securely through our automated toll-free number anytime with no waiting.
- Live Person – Call the Alere main toll-free number (1.877.262.4669) and talk to our friendly, knowledgeable customer support team.
How can I receive my patient’s INR test results?
If your patients report directly into our secure database management system, we can provide you those test results in a variety of ways to meet your needs of managing your patients:
- Alert you only when a patient is out of range.
- Send you all patient test results on a schedule you choose.
- Provide real-time access to test results via Alere CoagClinic® data management application.
What additional resources does Alere offer?
Alere is committed to supporting patient education efforts toward improving the quality of care and safety for warfarin patients. WellLife, an exclusive program by Alere, is dedicated to informing people on warfarin how to live healthier, safer lives. This comprehensive network of resources provides lifestyle and safety tips, inspirational stories from people taking warfarin and educational resources and tools. WellLife offers you the tools to empower your patients to live a healthier life on warfarin with quarterly patient newsletters, information included in their testing supplies, community educational events, and our PTINR.com® website.
We also offer WellLife patient education documents on PTINR.com that provide you with over two dozen 1-page electronic patient education handouts. The hand outs educate your new, intermediate and most advanced warfarin users on practical topics (fall prevention, vitamin K, and avoiding drug interactions) while enabling you to document the delivery of patient education.
To meet today’s patient education standards, PTINR.com offers:
- Information about warfarin
- Drug Interaction Information
- Helpful INR Information & Tips
- Current Health Articles
- Vitamin K Finder – the largest comprehensive list of vitamin K amounts in more than 5,000 foods and beverages
- Healthy Recipes with Café PTINR®
- Information about Home INR Monitoring
- Heneghan C, et al. Self-monitoring of oral anticoagulation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2006; 367:404-11.
- Am J Manag Care. 2014;20(3):202-209.